Words of Light
Etymological: Relating to the origin and historical development of words and their meanings.
Phosphorescence: Light emitted by a substance without combustion or perceptible heat.
Articulation: The formation of clear and distinct sounds in speech
- The past is only a reflection of a small illusion of history, why do we still condition ourselves to believe in the past through visual images either paintings, prints or photos?
- “a photograph acquires some of the dignity that it lacks when it ceases to be a reproduction of reality and shows us things that no longer exist”
- photographs see and remember only when seeing and remembering are, strictly speaking, no longer possible
- Perception is a matter of light and representation
Photograph and Liquid Intelligence
Emblematic: serving as a symbol of a particular quality or concept
Infinitesimal: things so small that there is no way to measure them
Archaism: something that is old fashioned, eg words, or style of speech
- The archaism of water, of liquid chemicals, connects photography to the past, to time, in an important way.
- The echoes of water in photography evokes its prehistory
- In photography, the liquids study us, even from a great distance.